Tuesday, December 23, 2008

An Acceptable Loss

This was a tough loss. But it was also an acceptable one. After controlling most of the first half and jumping out to a 9 point lead (44-35) early in the second, we completely collapsed and Arizona took over every phase for the remainder. And yet I'd say the positives outweighed the negatives, especially going forward. This wasn't the best time for Cole's worst game. And it wasn't a good time for Tyrel to look pretty awful. But all in all, the freshman came to play. Sherron mostly looked in control. And Brady continues to impress. Much more to come on this later, but I'm handling it better than anticipated and I think the potential is really starting to show through. Losses are always tough to watch, especially when there's a second half foul disparity like we saw tonight. But more frustrating is the passes out of bounds, the moving screens, the complete lack of boxing out - without checking a box score, I'd have to guess Arizona had close to 20 offensive boards - and the inability to bear down and get a stop when it's needed. But the talent is there (though I've lowered this team's ceiling). And the ball movement is incredible. So there's plenty of potential for this year. We'll have much more later, but I'd be curious as to your thoughts.

If nothing else, at least we didn't get all hyped up the last few days about finally be ranked only to be run out of the gym for the ninth straight year by a mediocre Illinois team...

2 comments:

Robo Boogie said...

the lack of boxing out on the o boards was extremely hard to watch. However as you say I take it all in stride much like 2000, feels a bit the same. Nothing to see here move along... At least Methzou got drubbed tonight..

Hiphopopotamus said...

I just wish we could take away PT from the Morris twins, but we're so thin up front that one of them almost has to be in at all times.

I know I used to get pissed whenever he took out Mario for Vinson (so I can imagine how Mario felt), but he got the message and that seemed to turn out ok.