Monday, November 17, 2008

Big XII RoundUp: Week Seven

As was mandated, I'm finally off the mediocrity fence and will remain that we even with an even split next week with only two league games on the slate. For the weekend, I was 5-0 TGS and a semi-disappointing 3-2 ATS. For the season that runs the totals to 32-9 TGS and 21-20 ATS. Let's just say my Kansas allegiance has likely cost me a few wins here – never bet with your heart.

1. Texas Tech (10-0, 6-0) – Idle. After having seen Kansas play all three right now, it's clear from only those that Tech was the strongest foe. Which surprises me to no end. And yet I still can't shake the feeling of thinking Texas is the better team. Up next: @ Oklahoma, a chance to clinch the South and take one more step toward the MNC.

2. Texas (10-1, 6-1) – won @ Kansas 35-7. Sure, Kansas had their chances to make this more of a game. But that's a great team they've got there and I expect they'll have a lot of fun exacting revenge on A&M for the losses Fran gave them the past two seasons.

3. Oklahoma (10-1, 6-1) – Idle. I'm bumping them up on account of OSU's rather pedestrian win in Boulder and Kendall Hunter's apparent injury. It may just be the fact that we were able to play with them in Norman, but I can't shake the feeling that the two teams above them are noticeably better. Up next: Tech.

4. Oklahoma State (9-2, 5-2) – won @ Colorado 30-17. No shame in winning in the road, especially after the confidence shaker they went through a week prior. But I'd keep an eye on that Hunter injury if they have any chance to beat OU.

5. MU (9-2, 5-2) – won @ ISU 52-20. I guess Pinkel was serious about that "no more Mr. Nice Guy assertion." After letting KSU cover with a garbage TD a week earlier, Pinkel's boys put in a late TD of their own letting them cover the spread and take away what should have been a good week of picks on my part.

6. Nebraska (7-4, 4-3) – won @ KSU 56-28. I guess that "What the fuck?!" instinct I had when I saw that line at 6 was substantiated. I still don't know what Vegas or the betting public was thinking with that one.

7. Kansas (6-5, 3-4) – lost v. Texas 35-7. There is but one silver lining and that is the optimism. I'm pretty comfortable saying that if we'd had that defensive performance in Tampa and Lincoln, we'd be sitting at 8-3 right now. Furthermore, if it can be replicated or even bettered in two weeks, 7-5 with a Big 11 opponent waiting in Tempe is increasingly possible.

8. Baylor (4-7, 2-5) – won v. A&M 41-21. Not that anyone ever argued me, but I still told you so. Despite the numbers and the large gap between them and Kansas, this is the 8th best team in the league.

9. Colorado (5-6, 2-5) – lost v. OSU 30-17. Not a bad effort, really. Injuries have certainly played a part, but I can't help but really start to think that Chris Peterson was the guy pulling the strings in Boise all along.

10. KSU (4-7, 1-6) – lost v. NU 56-28. That Brandon Banks is a player. But he's the only one.

11. Texas A&M (4-7, 2-5) – lost @ Baylor 41-21. Have fun with Texas in a couple weeks.

12. Iowa State (2-9, 0-7) – lost v. MU 52-20. My goodness that's a bad team. Last chance for a win comes in Manhattan – that's been enough of a recipe for everyone else this year.

I really hope this isn't true.

No comments: