Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Q&A Time

As mentioned yesterday, Cody Stark is apparently unwilling to grace us with his knowledge of Bearkat football. Perhaps he's not a very nice guy, though he comes off as chummy. Perhaps he accidentally deleted our e-mails. Perhaps he hates blogs. Perhaps Huntsville is only 60 miles from Houston and is mostly still without power to due that bastard of a hurricane, Ike. Whatever the reason may be, we can wait no longer for our Q&A fix. In lieu of Cody we instead decided to interview one Rhett Bomar. Rhett is the quarterback of the Sam Houston State Bearkats, and coincidentally, this week's opponent for Kansas.

HH: So Rhett, it looks like you really had some fun throwing the ball around against East Central (12-22 for 198 yards and 4 TDs in the 1st half), most notably to Catron Houston. You actually built up a 52-0 lead by halftime. Is this a sign of things to come for the SHSU offense this year?

RB: Well we certainly like to think so. You know, we have some great talent here at SHSU and we feel like if we come out focused, we can play with anyone.

HH: Speaking of which, it sure looks like you guys ran the ball pretty well too. 261 yards on the ground is nothing to sneeze at – I know we Kansas fans would damn near kill for a performance like that right about now.

RB: Like I said, we have some great athletes here. James (Aston) is as good as any back I've ever seen and I wouldn't trade him for anybody.

HH: Just out of curiosity, are you aware that you did at one time play with Adrian Peterson?

RB: Oh sure, and AD was a helluva player. Crazy kid wanted to turn pro out of high school. But pound for pound, I'm not sure there's a better player than James Aston.
(Note: Aston is listed at 5'8" 203, Peterson at 6'1" 217)

HH: Oh ok, I didn't realize we were speaking in terms of relative performance. Personally, I've always valued the "on-the-field" performance as opposed to the hypothetical "if they were the same size" performance, but I see where you're coming from. I have to ask though, per your depth chart, TyMagic Robinson is listed as the starter. Is this guy some sort of a Pandora's Box you're waiting to unleash on KU? Why didn't we see him in the first game?

RB: No comment.

HH: Don't be coy with me, Rhett.

RB: No comment.

HH: Fine. Fine. I understand. Keeping with your depth chart, it looks like you have some tanks on your offensive line, but all of your receivers are noticeably smaller than me. I take it the former is incredibly slow and the latter incredibly fast?

RB: You could say that.

HH: What about you; could you say that?

RB: I could. But I won't. Even though none of our receivers are 6 feet tall, they can all fly and they work perfectly for our offense. And yeah, our o-line is mostly made up of guys that are huge and slow. But what line isn't?

HH: Rhett, just because you elaborate as opposed to saying exactly what I said doesn't make it untrue. But that's beside the point. I notice your starting center is Justin Bowersox from Wichita Heights HS. I've got to be honest, Rhett. I've never heard of the lad and that doesn't bode well for you.

RB: I have all the confidence in the world in Justin. He was a fantastic player in HS and he's only gotten better since coming down here to Huntsville. I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

HH: You're telling me you wouldn't rather have someone, anyone, from OU's line that has yet to allow a defender to breathe on Sam Bradford? And more than that, you'd rather have a guy from my home state that I've never heard of instead of said All-Americans?

RB: Absolutely. Listen, OU seems to be playing pretty well. And Sam has looked great behind their line, but right now we're sitting at 1-0, we put up 52 points in a half and I've got no reason to doubt these guys.

HH: Just so you know, East Central did also lose to Texas A&M Kingsville (44-14) and Tarleton State (38-6), so you may want to reserve your judgment for another week or two. Just saying.

RB: Oh yeah, both the Javelinas (TAMK) and the Texans (TS) have great squads this year. Maybe EC hasn't quite grabbed a W yet, but you watch, they're a tough team and we were glad to get out of there with a win.

HH: I have no doubt. On that note, take me back to your last game against Kansas. You won that one 19-3, do you expect a similar outcome?

RB: Well anytime you go into a game, you go into it expecting to win. If I didn't, what kind of competitor would I be? I surely wouldn't be where I am today (Huntsville). But I do remember that game in Arrowhead. That wasn't exactly my best game ever (16-31 for 206 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs) as Reid, Floodman and keith seemed to be in my face every snap. But fortunately, Ronnie Amadi subbed in for a play and we were able to burn him for a quick touchdown. Other than that, I just sat back and let our defense (read: Brian Luke) take care of things and we were glad to come away with a W.

HH: Yes, I remember it well myself (read: Fuck off). Speaking of that game, you've obviously shown that you have the talent to be a FBS quarterback with professional aspirations. Talk about that.

RB: I've always had a ton of confidence in myself and know what I'm capable of, which is why I'm looking forward to showing it off in front of a national audience (FCS Midwest). As far as the pro game, all I can do is what I've always done: work hard, make good decisions (Auto Dealer says what?) and leave it all on the field. I mean, if Alex Smith can be the #1 pick and J-Free can be discussed as a possible #1, why can't I have my day too?

HH: I couldn't agree more, Rhett. Thanks for your time and I look forward to seeing you in action Saturday.

RB: My pleasure, thanks for having me.

Editor's Note: I have elected not to use quotation marks for this interview as I cannot be sure that I actually spoke with Rhett Bomar, though it sure sounded a lot like him. Either way, I found it to be very informative and revealing, two things Rhett is known for. The decision is yours. (Call it even, annyong?)

3 comments:

annyong said...

To call the iPod picture "even" is completely, totally, undoubtedly acceptable. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Marissa Miller and Todd Reesing would make beautiful, athletic babies.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff as always, I think your weekly interview really rivals anything that KUsports does (that's not a knock on them). A must-read each week.